The Results of the 207th Consultative Meeting on Promotion of Inter-Korean Exchanges and Cooperation
The South Korean government held a consultative meeting on promotion of inter-Korean exchanges and cooperation promotion chaired by Unification Minister Kim Ha-joong at Central Government Complex Annex on July 3. At the meeting, the government deliberated on and approved five agenda items, three of which would require 10.3 billion won to be implemented.
1. Inter-Korean Cooperation Fund(IKCF) disbursement plan for 2008 policy projects of humanitarian assistance toward North Korea(provisional)
A total of 4.4 billion won will be provided for four government projects--1 billion won for TB management, 1.08 billion for education of medical professionals, 1 billion for pharmaceutical factory and 1.25 billion for pilot tree-planting project. Basically, these projects are development assistance programs and they require policy support from a mid- to long-term perspective.
2. IKCF disbursement plan for Mt. Geumgang Family Reunion Center(provisional)
A total of 4.2 billion won will be spent on purchasing, transporting and installing fittings, furniture and equipment upon the opening of the Mt. Geumgang Family Reunion Center (slated for August 2008).
3. IKCF disbursement plan for construction of a fire station in the Mt. Geumgang tourism area(provisional)
A total of 1.7 billion won will be provided for building a fire station and purchasing fire-fighting equipment to protect the lives and property of the Korean people.
As of June 23, 2008, the fire station is 96% completed and the construction is scheduled for completion on July 8, 2008.
4. Revision of the special law on procedures for visit to Gaeseong Industrial Complex Zone and approval for cooperation projects within the zone(provisional)
The number of required documents to apply for a multiple visit permit will be reduced by delisting the statement of reason. Also, the time to gain an approval for cooperation projects will be shortened from ten to seven days. These measures are intended to provide faster and more convenient civil service related to the GIC project.
5. Approval of contracts for guarantee against loss with regard to economic cooperation projects(provisional)
The government approved contracts for loss recovery requested by seven companies including MG Corp operating at GIC to provide stability to private businesses. The stipulated amount is a total of 29.6 billion won and the commission rate is 0.375%.