Press Release (October 14)
Outcome of Inter-Korean Working-Level Meeting
Regarding Flood Control of the Imjin River
l Inter-Korean working-level meeting regarding flood control of the Imjin River was held today at the Office of Inter-Korean Economic Cooperation in Gaeseong.
l What the South Korean delegation delivered the North Korean delegation in its keynote speech is as below:
- We demand that North Korean authority responsible for the September 6 flood of the Imjin River makes an official apology and extends its sincere condolences to the bereaved South Korean families.
- We demand a proper explanation for the cause of the incident which our South Korean citizens can accept.
- For establishing systematic measures and preventing further damage in the use of the rivers shared by both Koreas, we propose three principles: 1) the principle of reasonable and fair use; 2) the principle of mutual cooperation; 3) the principle of mutual trust.
- Based on these principles, we propose to establish practical measures to prevent such a tragic incident from being repeated. We propose to put in place water-release notification system and flood forecasting system.
l The North Korean delegation responded as below:
- We express regret over the unexpected human casualties caused by the flood of the Imjin River.
- We extend sincere condolences to the bereaved families.
- The relevant authority in charge of control of the water-release inevitably discharged water to avoid a more serious catastrophe.
l The South delegation delivered the North counterpart a notification form that requires the name of the dam from which they will release water, the amount of discharging water and the reason of discharge, and requested to give prior notification for future water release.
- The North delegation agreed to notify relevant South Korean authority before releasing water through shared river.
l The North and South delegations agreed to have further working-level meetings to discuss establishment of flood forecasting system and joint use of rivers criss-crossing the North and South border.
- The detailed schedule will be negotiated through the North-South liaison office at Panmunjeom.
Ministry of Unification