Press Release (December 31)
MOU s 2010 Administration Report to the President
Building a New Paradigm for Peaceful Korea and Inter-Korean Relations
Greater Korea to Host G20 Summit: To the World, To the Future
President Lee Myung-bak presided over a meeting for 2010 administration report of the Ministry of Unification, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade and the Ministry of National Defense at the Korea Institute for Defense Analyses from 8:00 to 12:00 a.m. on December 31 with about 200 government officials and about 50 guests from all social standings present.
The meeting followed the formality of public conference with North Korean refugees, representatives from NGOs and experts in various fields as well as government officials present.
- Followed by the three Ministers report on each Ministry s 2010 policy goal and top priority projects, government-public joint discussion session was held with themes including: 1)building a new paradigm for Korea s peace and inter-Korean relations; 2)realizing a truly Global Korea through genuine contribution to the international society; 3)developing defense administration.
In MOU s 2010 administration report, Minister Hyun In-Taek made points as follows:
- The year 2010 will be an important turning-point for resolving North Korean nuclear issue and improving inter-Korean relations, so that in 2010 we have to pursue a new relationship with the North and lay the foundation for developed democracy of unified Korea.
- In light of the people s expectation and the changing circumstances surrounding the Korean peninsula next year, the MOU set three strategic goals: 1)improving inter-Korean relations based on principles; 2)realizing productive humanitarianism; 3)enhancing foundation for future-oriented unification. The Minister also announced nine top priority projects for the three strategic goals.
<Three Strategic Goals and Nine Top Priority Projects>
|1st Strategic Goal
Relations based on Principles
|Epoch-making turnaround of North Korean nuclear issue
|100% Guarantee of the people s safety
|Transparent exchanges and cooperation
|2nd Strategic Goal
Realization of Productive
|Creative breakthrough in resolving humanitarian issues
|Selected and focused support for NGOs
|Total Care for North Korean refugees, focusing on job creation
|3rd Strategic Goal
Enhancing Foundation for
|Enhancing internal infrastructure for unification
|Forming an international community for unification
|Raising Korea s status and preparing for the future by realizing Green Korea
Sincerely implementing the nine top priority projects in 2010, the MOU will build a new paradigm for inter-Korean relations and accomplish the goal of peaceful and green Korean peninsula and the world s best Korea.
During the followed discussion session under the title of Building a New Paradigm for Peaceful Korea and Inter-Korean Relations, Minister Hyun suggested six top priorities as follows:
- Resolving North Korean nuclear issue
- Cooperation with the international society for the settlement of peace and unification
- Unification education for future generations
- Support for North Korean refugees stable settlement in the South s society
- Peaceful use of the Demilitarized Zone
- Establishing the legal foundation for unification
The persons from various circles who participated in the discussion made various proposals on the MOU s six top priorities.
Minister Hyun expressed the MOU s willingness to make utmost efforts to effectively apply the proposals made during the discussion in its establishment and implementation of unification policy.
Ministry of Unification