Press Release (February 3, 2010)
Sixteen more Hana Centers designated
l The Ministry of Unification selected 16 more Hana Centers with collaboration with local governments. The welfare facilities would help North Korean defectors adjust to lives in their residential areas.
* The number of Hana Centers designated:
Seoul(3), Incheon(2), Gyeonggi(2), Gwangwon(2), Chungnam(2), Gyeongbuk(2), Gyeongnam(1), Gwangju(1), Jeonnam(1)
- The newly-chosen centers would be opened in mid-February. Last year 6 Hana Centers started trial operation. The total number of facilities in operation as of February would be 22.
- Within the second quarter of this year, 8 more centers would be designated.
l According to an MOU plan, a total of 30 would be run this year. Based on the number of persons to be accommodated, the size of the service area and accessibility, centers would be selected additionally. Each metropolitan city and province would have more than one Hana Center.
* The total number of facilities to be operated in each region:
Seoul(4), Gyeonggi(6), Incheon Gyeongnam Chungnam Gyeongbuk Gwangju Gwangwon(2), Busan Daegu Chungbuk Daejeon Jeonnam Jeonbuk Ulsan Jeju(1)
l Hana Centers are settlement support facilities for North Korean defectors leaving Hanawon where they go first after entering South Korea. The Centers help them adjust to lives in their residential areas and get a job or education so that they can stand on their feet.
- North Korean defectors at a Hana Center get an early adaptation education for 3 weeks and customized services for 1 year after that. These comprehensive services would make them easily settle in their residential areas.
* Programs :
？ Early adaptation education to help North Korean defectors better understand their residential areas
？ Programs to boost their exchanges with neighbors
？ Education consultation
？ Job training
？ Medical service and psychological consultation
？ Support to deal with their personal and legal problems
l The Government has already provided professional counseling service to North Korean defectors. With more Hana Centers in their residency, the government could expand settlement support for them.
Ministry of Unification