Press Reference (August 11, 2010)
Minister Hyun presided a meeting with GIC business owners
Hyun In-taek, Minister of Unification, had a meeting in his office on Wednesday, August 11 with the delegation of an association of companies doing business at the Gaeseong Industrial Complex.
- The meeting was attended by Bae Hae-dong, the leader of the association, and other representatives.
They showed a full understanding of the Government measures against North Korea that had started May 24 in response to the sinking of the naval ship Cheonan.
- They explained the difficulties they faced because of the measures. They said that many companies at the GIC were producing fewer goods with lower quality and got employees to take more time to get to work as the Government restricted the number of workers who could reside at the Complex. They also asserted that the import and export procedure for equipment should be simplified.
- Yet, they promised close cooperation with the Government to overcome the current difficulties.
Minister of Unification emphasized the Government s strong commitment to the GIC and asked businesses there to actively collaborate with the Government in implementing May 24 measures in a consistent way.
- He said that the number of people allowed to be stayed at the Complex has recently been adjusted to the situation.
- In addition, he said that ways to help GIC businesses import and export equipment more easily for repair, replacement and upgrade of their facilities would be sought.
The Government will thoroughly review opinions given by the delegation at the meeting to secure stability of the GIC.
Ministry of Unification