Press Release (October 4, 2010)
Minister Hyun is making a special visit to Germany to celebrate its 20th anniversary of reunification
l Hyun In-tack, Minister of Unification, has been visiting Germany from October 2 in response to the country s invitation.
- Considering the significance of this year s anniversary, the German government asked representatives from 4 victors that joined the 2+4 treaty to attend the celebration ceremony.
- The government also invited Minister Hyun as the only special guest to the event.
- At the same time, he was invited by the German Bundestag to a separate event to celebrate its 20th anniversary.
- The invitation from both the German government and the house of parliament is especially meaningful as it shows the country s commitment to sharing lessons of reunification and integration of the nation with South Korea.
l During his visit, the South Korean Unification Ministry will build a cooperative relationship with the German Federal Ministry of the Interior, which is in charge of rebuilding East Germany.
- The Korea-German cooperative relationship pursued by our Ministry includes:
To set up a regular forum composed of German officials who had participated in their reunification process and Korean officials who have been involved in efforts to bring unification to the Korean peninsula
To forge a governmental system to share information and knowledge on the German reunification and integration
To develop human resources for unification through people-to-people contacts between Koreans and Germans
- Going forward, ministerial and working-level meetings will be held between the two countries to discuss these issues, which will be written in a memorandum of understanding to be signed.
Ministry of Unification