Unification Spokesperson Statement
March 27, 2015
- The following is the R.O.K. government stance regarding North Korea’s press conference yesterday(March 26) on two South Korean citizens detained in the North.
- It is deeply regrettable that North Korea has unilaterally detained our citizens Kim Guk-gi and Choi Chun-gil without any advance explanation and is making unsubstantiated allegations about them.
- Such measures by the North run counter to not only the international norms but also the universal value of human rights and humanitarianism.
- The specifics of North Korea’s investigation report announced at the press conference yesterday can be confirmed only after the citizens are repatriated to the South.
- We strongly urge the North to immediately release our citizens Kim Guk-gi and Choi Chun-gil and repatriate them without delay.
- Furthermore, as required by international norms, North Korea must guarantee personal safety and provide conveniences for our citizens until their repatriation and allow the family and the counsel to access Kim and Choi.
- Along with the two citizens, we once again urge the North to release and repatriate our citizen Kim Jeong-uk, who has been detained in the North since October 2013.
- North Korea must show a responsible attitude towards legitimate requests of our government.