Unification Spokesperson Statement
June 23, 2015
- It is deeply regrettable that North Korea has unilaterally conducted a pro forma trial of our detained citizens Kim Guk-gi and Choi Chun-gil in the North and sentenced a severe punishment of ‘hard labor for life’ today(6.23).
- Our government has repeatedly requested the North to inform us the whereabouts and health conditions of Kim and Choi, and allow the family and the counsel to access them.
- However, North Korea has made unsubstantiated allegations about Kim and Choi without any advance explanation. Such inappropriate measures by the North run counter to not only the international norms but also the universal value of human rights and humanitarianism.
- Our government clearly states that we cannot accept the trial result unilaterally imposed by the North.
- We once again urge the North to immediately release our citizens Kim Guk-gi and Choi Chun-gil and repatriate them without delay.
- Furthermore, we once again urge the North to release and repatriate our citizens Kim Jeong-uk, and Joo Won-moon and send them back to their families.
- The R.O.K. government will put its utmost effort for the repatriation of Kim Guk-gi, Choi Chun-gil, Kim Jeong-uk, and Joo Won-moon placing top priority in securing the safety of our citizens.