Unification Spokesperson Statement on
Statement of North Korea’s Committee for the Peaceful Reunification of the Fatherland
August 17, 2015
- In a speech commemorating the 70th anniversary of national liberation on August 15th, the R.O.K government stated that true liberation will be completed through the unification of the Korean Peninsula. To that end, we urge that South and North Korea heal the wounds of the past and move forward towards the future.
- However, we express a deep regret that North Korea distorted and criticized our sincere proposal, and continued to slander and criticize our Head of State by name with unmentionable words.
- Also, the Korean government strongly condemns the North’s preposterous claim that the recent mine blasts in the DMZ is a fabricated plot even when the North’s provocation has become evident.
- The government once again urges the North to break away from its irresponsible acts and attitude, which undermine the historical and national significance of the 70th anniversary of liberation.
- Instead, we call for the North to open the path for peaceful unification together with the South by easing military tensions and building trust through dialogue and cooperation, while solving the livelihoods of North Koreans, as proposed in our commemorative address on the 70th anniversary of liberation.