Unification Spokesperson Commentary
regarding Enactment of North Korea Human Rights Act
March 2, 2016
● The R.O.K. government welcomes the enactment of North Korea Human Rights Act at the National Assembly to protect and improve North Koreans’ human rights in an agreement between the ruling and opposition parties after 11 years of bipartisan dispute.
- Though belated, the passage of the North Korea Human Rights Act reflects the strong will of our people and the government to improve the dismal human rights situation in the North.
● The enactment of the North Korea Human Rights Act will contribute to the international efforts to enhance the universal value of human rights and build an institutional foundation to open the pathway for unification in which all Koreans are granted the right to enjoy a peaceful and happy life.
- With the legal measures put in place, the R.O.K. government will set up more systematic and comprehensive policies to improve the North’s human rights situation and strive for their effective implementation.
- Furthermore, the Unification Ministry in concerted efforts with the relevant ministries, will △enact enforcement ordinance of the North Korea Human Rights Act, △devise a general plan to improve human rights situation in the North, and △build organizations such as ‘Foundation for Human Rights in North Korea’(provisional name) and ‘Center for Investigation & Documentation on Human Rights in North Korea'(provisional name) as part of substantial follow-up measures of the bill.
● Instead of just criticizing the concerns and efforts of the R.O.K. government and the international community, we urge North Korea to join us in our endeavor to fulfill the universal value of humankind and improve its human rights situation.