Unification Spokesperson Commentary on Statement of
North Korea’s Committee for the Peaceful Reunification of the Fatherland
March 4, 2016
● The enactment of the North Korea Human Rights Act represents the strong will of our people and the government to improve the dismal human rights situation in the North, and lays an institutional foundation to open the pathway for unification in which all Koreans are granted the right to enjoy a peaceful and happy life.
● Instead of continuously insisting that ‘there are no human rights problems’ in North Korea and disparaging efforts for improvement on our part, the North should come forward and work to improve its human rights situation as called for by the R.O.K. government and the international community.
- We urge the North to look after its people in earnest and indeed rather than with hollow slogans that only speak of pursuing ‘politics for people’.
● Furthermore, we once again clearly state that North Korea’s slanderous verbal attack as well as threat against our Head of State with unmentionable words cannot be overlooked in any case and the government will sternly act against such behavior.
- North Korea must immediately halt its irrational behavior.